Monday, November 4, 2013

A Light at the End of the Tunnel

One of the most important things that anyone working with feral kittens needs to spend some time on is actually thinking about what the word "feral" means.  There is an assumption that the word feral can be interchanged with aggressive which is not true and paints these animals in the wrong light.  The definition of feral is actually very simple.

Feral means to exist in a wild or untamed state.

Think about that for a minute because it perfectly describes what you are dealing with when working with a feral kitten.  It is existing in an untamed state.  A wild untamed animal is not instinctively aggressive.  In fact, if you see them interacting with each other, wild animals can be sensitive, kind and loving.  It is only when they are faced with a potentially threatening situation that a feral animal is likely to become aggressive. 

In a feral kitten the flight or fight response is very active.  If given the choice, the majority of the kittens will choose to flee rather than fight.  But in a shelter or foster setting, we take that choice away from them so they are left with no other choice than to fight.  From their perspective, it is truly a matter of life and death.  So next time you see a feral kitten hissing or swatting in a cage, keep in mind that while it is definitely dangerous in its current cornered, untamed state and should be approached with caution, it is not a naturally aggressive or mean animal. 

Even when my feral babies are hissing at me or trying to bite me,  I know that it is a product of their untamed state and do not take it personally or think it implies anything about their personality.  The good thing is that they do not have to stay untamed.  And at one point in the socialization process, you will see a subtle shift in the kittens' behavior.  It is when they take that first step away from being untamed and cross over that fine line into tame territory. 

For me, as a feral foster mom, I see that step as the light at the end of the tunnel.  It is a glimpse into the future of my babies lives.  The first time I can look at them and see the loving house pets they will eventually become.  The road is still long, and there is still tons of work to do, but the end is in sight.

How did we get to the point where I can see that light?  I knew I was going to be tied up all weekend at an adoption event at the shelter I foster for, so I decided that this weekend was a good one for some tough love.  At the stage they are at, my kittens have gotten used to the baby food and the play time out of the cage.  And they have definitely made the connection that these fun things come only when I am around.  So although they may not want me to touch them, they do want me to come around.  This weekend, when I "went away" so did the fun treats and play time.  They got dry food and water and were kept crated.  The only time I spent in the room was to check on them early in the morning and before bed be sure they were physically OK. 

Today, after a long night's sleep and working on the good vibes of having watched 122 adult cats find homes over the weekend, I went back to being "mommy" and bringing fun things - with one major difference.  No more free rides.  If they wanted the yummy baby food or the play time out the cage, they had to let me pick them up and handle them first.  Before they could come out of the cage, each kitten was picked up, put on my lap and petted whether they liked it or not.  If they fought too much, they went back into the crate to watch their siblings run around.  Baby food would no longer come to them, they had to come to it.  And it was in my lap. Of course, they were not happy with this change at first, but after a few short sessions, I am happy to report that they have all crossed that fine line on the way to being tamed. 

The baby of the group, who is now named Abbey, is actively snuggling and just need to get big enough for adoption - and learn not to bite while playing.  Twyla continues to be the most social of the older group.  She will meow to come out of the cage and climb all 4 feet on me to get the baby food.  She is almost to the point that she actually enjoys the petting and will purr for me occasionally.  Her siblings, Frankie and the newly named Hyde, both made the huge step of willingly putting both paws on my leg to get to the baby food in my lap.  And while that may not seem like a big deal, it is the first time that they have willingly touched me with anything other than the tip of their nose.  Yes, the baby food is the incentive, but they had the option to move away from me and instead chose to stand on me to get their treat.  So today is a good day.

Don't get me wrong. There is still a long way to go.  My roommate happened to open the door to the room at ask me about dinner and all three kittens bolted like the feral kittens they still are.  But there was even a positive in that too.  The path to their "safe" crate was blocked and they felt threatened.  But rather than trying to jump the ring pen and bolt for the corners of the room, they hid behind me.  I have been accepted as something that will keep them safe. 

These small gestures of trust are the first signs of the light at the end of a long, dark, twisting tunnel.  And let me tell you, its a beautiful thing to behold.

No comments:

Post a Comment