Thursday, November 28, 2013

Lessons Learned

Dear Fosters Kittens:

When I decided to become a foster parent, I did it because of my love of animals and a desire to help.  I quickly knew that each and every one of you was going to touch my heart and that fostering you was going to be fun, challenging, heartbreaking and a wonderful experience for my whole family.  What I did not realize is that while you really needed my help, I really needed you too.

You have changed me as a person and I will be forever grateful.  So on this day of Thanksgiving, I wanted to take a minute to just say thank you for the life lessons you have taught me. 

To Sadie who we adopted at age 11 - you taught me that love has no age.

To Doyle who I just could not let go - you taught me that a forever connection can be made in an instant.

To Charlie who stopped moving for a week from unknown reasons and still has balance and allergies issues - you taught me that your don't have to be perfectly healthy to be a perfect match for the right little girl.


To Nigella who is still learning to be social - you taught that you do not have to be "typical" to inspire love in those around you.

To Abner who is our first small animal foster - you taught me to not get too set in my ways and always be open to new things.

To Ali who was too weak to stand - you taught me to never give up and always keep fighting. 


To Gus who was scared, cold and alone - you taught me that a little love can make a huge difference.

To Christopher, Pluto, Savvi, Glory Eddie, and too many others who went to the rainbow bridge - you taught me to put others first and know when it is time to let go.

To Neko whose leg swelled up three times its normal size - you taught me that weird things happen, but just go with the flow and things will turn out OK.

To Victoria who was too feral to touch for a month - you taught me patience and persistence does pay off.

To Neptune who was so sick you were not expect to survive the weekend - you taught me that miracles do happen.


To Jude who spent her entire 6 month long life with us - you taught me that it does not matter how long your life is, it only matters what you do with it.  Use whatever time you have in this life to share your skills and talents with others. And most importantly, reach out to touch others hearts.  The love you share will come back to you.  Anyone can make a difference in this world if they just try.

So to all my fosters, the ones listed here and the many, many others, I am thankful for the life lessons you have taught me, the love you have shared and the difference you have made in my life. 

I will never know all the details of  your life before me or the road you will travel after you leave me, but in the words of the band Rascal Flatts, I will always be thankful for the "Broken Road" that led you to me.

Love,
Your Foster Mom
Michelle





No comments:

Post a Comment